Article of the Day
Dance Your Booty Off with These 5 Dance Styles
Exercise can seem like a chore, but that generally is about our perception of what exercise has to look like. If we see exercise as a chore or something that "has to be done" then it just becomes work. However, if we see it as an opportunity to get out and do something fun and active, it could be a whole different story. Dance is a great way to combine fun with calorie burning. Dance not only brings the fun and social element to fitness, but has a wide variety of options for participation from group class, to solo performance and couple participation. Here are 5 dance styles that will give you calorie-burning fun.
- Hip Hop – Hip hop is a popular dance style that can be done from class to club, and can be combined with almost any other style of dance. Depending on the style of hip hop you engage in, the benefits to your body can be enormous including agility, stamina, core strength, and imcreased lower and upper body strength. Try traditional hip hop styles, or step into fusion styles with latin, funk, jazz, and modern. A hip hop workout can burn up to 10 calories per minute, so in a 60 minute workout, you can burn up to 600 calories. Whatever the style, you are sure to get a great sweat!
- Latin - Latin style dance is another style with great variation and high caloric burn value. The latest Zumba latin fusion style dance is an excellent example of a high calorie latin dance workout, and has become super popular, however there are many other styles to consider within the Latin category. Salsa, merenge, bachata, cha cha, samba, and rumba are all examples of latin styles to varying degrees of formality (from ballroom to club), that will knock the pounds off. Since there is a lot of hip action in many of the latin styles, it is great for slimming the waistline, but also gives the legs a great workout! While Zumba and some of the dance styles mentioned don't require a dance partner to participate, styles such as salsa, cha cha, rumba, and samba are better danced with a partner. Burn up to 800 calories in a zumba class and up to 500 calories in partner latin styles like salsa, merengue, and so on. You will find a latin dance community almost anywhere you go, and most are welcoming to newcomers (as well as veterans).
- Pole dancing – Pole dance has also gained popularity over the last few years, and rightly so. The once "edgy" form of dance is proving to be a fantastic workout for the entire body, building strength in the legs, arms, core and upper torso. Pole dancing classes can also re-presence a sense of sensuality & femininity to some who may have disconnected themselves with their woman-ness for some reason or another. Whatever the reason you are joining a pole class, you will burn up to 350 calories per hour of dancing.
- Tap Dancing – Treat your feet to some fancy footwork with tap dancing. This sometimes rhythmically fun and challenging classic style. With a great workout for both the thighs, glutes, and arms, tap dancing is both fun for adults and children. An hour of tap dancing can burn up to 300 - 700 calories, depending on pace and skill level. Another benefit to tap is the opportunity to show your rhythmic skills to others in group or solo recital performances which most studios will give as an acknowledgement to the students dedication, skill and hard work.
- Bellydance – Channel your feminine Goddess and burn 300 – 500 calories an hour with the beautiful and sensual style of belly dance. The foundation of the belly dance workout lives in the core, but the benefits extend far beyond that. Besides a slim waistline, you'll gain firmer arms, thighs and firmly lifted glutes from this ancient art form. There are many styles of belly dance from many different region, and when you get in tune with this style, you will most likely be drawn to the fabulous culture and community that comes with it. You may even find yourself on a stage showing off your shimmy.
To find more about various dance styles that give you a high calorie burn, visit www.fitnessblender.com or download calorie burning apps onto your iPhone or Android.
Join the challenge!
Are you up to gain 12 new habits in 12 months?
Then subscribe to Dr. Maiysha's Blog for great posts, articles, videos, and recipes each week.
Join the ongoing conversation on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter by going to www.DrMaiysha.com and clicking Follow or Like.
THEME OF THE MONTH:
In the month of May, we are focusing on making fitness fun! Get away from the hum drum obligation mentality that most people have about exercise and begin to make exercise fun and exciting. Each week we will challenge you to make exercise fun in a different way. Follow our weekly articles and tips and before you know it, exercise won’t be exercise for you anymore…it will be pure fun!
THIS WEEK’S CHALLENGE: Get your dance on! Whether in a group, couple, or home setting, take an hour this week and enjoy full expression through dance. Pick one of the styles above or one not even mentioned. Get creative, and have fun!
Maiysha Clairborne MD